Monday, March 6, 2017

And Then There Was None

A funny thing happened over the weekend.

I may (or may not) have completed my revisions.

I have to keep the 'or may not' part because I am, after all, me, and I have a long history of not actually completing my revisions.



But, for the moment at least, they are complete, and the manuscript is in the hands of my last beta reader. And in theory, she is reading at a neck-breaking pace because she finds it impossible to put down the story. (and also because she'd like to get to the end before I decide I must rewrite the entire thing. Again. My beta readers love me. Just so much.)

So until such time as I decide to either move forward, or rewrite the entire book (again), I'll be working on other things. It's kind of weird to be saying that because I've been revising for so long. Like, just this side of forever. I'm a little worried that I'll end up revising more just because I've forgotten how to do anything else. So if you see me with a red pen, just slap it right out of my hand, okay?

Here's what I'll be attempting to work on in the coming days and weeks and possibly months, all in the name of distracting myself (and also because they need to be done anyway—but mostly that first thing...):

1. Write a blurb for Second Nature

I had one brief moment of happiness upon the completion of my revisions. It was quickly swallowed by the knowledge that the dreaded blurb now awaited me. Is it too late to run away to join the circus?

2. Work on plan for Full Circle (aka, Book Three)

When I last looked at this manuscript (the last time I thought Second Nature's revisions were finished...), there was one of those super fun big ole timeline problems. I really need to figure it out before I can do anything else with this book.

3. Once the timeline problem is solved, find that scene I wrote in a notebook somewhere for Full Circle but now can't seem to locate.

I swear I wrote that scene fairly recently (translation: since having moved), but I haven't figured out in which notebook it's written. Fortunately, I only have about a million notebooks, so I'm sure tracking down one scene in one of them will be super easy.



Good thing I have a lot of time on my hands...

What's going on in your corner of the world?

Happy Monday, all.

43 comments:

  1. Glad it's done! Mostly. Sort of. Until you get your hands on it again...
    Focus on those other things and don't even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly. Sort of. Until I get my hands on it again... That is such a good description.

      I really will be trying to not think about it. We'll see how it goes...

      Delete
  2. Yeh for being done! And you are done. No more red pencils for you.

    I hear you about notebooks. They're everywhere in my house. They might even outnumber the dust bunnies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm done. And I hope I'm done because I'm actually done and not because I'm sick of looking at it or anything. :)

      Dust bunnies...I could've added 'get rid of those' to my list.

      Delete
  3. Did you take a moment to celebrate possibly being done with revisions? Do a little happy dance. <(^.^<)^(^.^)^(>^.^)>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there was no happy dancing. Should this book actually make it to the next step, I'll consider it. :)

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo, done with revisions. Now go find that notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got a list that's going to keep you busy. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think fixing my Book Three timeline problem will keep me entirely too busy.

      Delete
  6. Yay! Congrats on finishing revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blurb: MORE UNICORNS. MORE BADASS ASS-KICKING. Read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, now I can cross that off the list. I particularly like "MORE BADASS ASS-KICKING" :)

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the revisions! And good luck finding the scenes. I barely label my notebooks so I'm always searching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are only labeled with the month and year that they were in use. Which is only really useful when I can remember what else I was doing/writing when I wrote the scene in question. Which, in this case, I do not. But it's all right—as time consuming as it is, I do enjoy going through the notebooks.

      Delete
  9. It's finally happened! Quick, someone get the book away from her before she decides to revise it again!

    I hope you find that notebook. It's got to be there somewhere, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe the rest of my beta readers are saying the exact same thing. (About taking the book away from me before I decide to revise it again...)

      I never throw out a notebook, so I know it's somewhere. I just have to find which one.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on finishing the revisions! (I think...)
    Hopefully you can track down that notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woohoo!!! I'm so excited for you!
    I do understand the pain of blurbs and finding lost scenes in notebooks. I have too many notebook/journals with story information in them- mixed in with many other things that have nothing to do with my fiction writing so it makes it harder to find. :)
    Best wishes on everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, somewhere in another notebook are my early thoughts on the blurb. So I'll have to hunt for those, too, at some point.

      Delete
  12. Yay! I'm so happy you're done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am cheering!!!! Don't rewrite/revise it. Just wait for your beta reader. WOO!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try really, really hard to do just that.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on completing your revisions. Do you typically write your books in first person, third person, etc? I'm taking an informal poll... Also, how did you find your beta readers? Have a good week. Just stopping by from the IWSG. www.dianeweidenbenner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The POV depends on the project, really. I like to write in both first and third person. The stories mentioned in this post are both third person limited—though there is one character who always seems to want her narratives written in first person.

      My beta readers are three excellent friends of mine, and my brother. They're people I can trust not only with my stories, but people I can trust to tell me the truth about the stories. If something doesn't work, they'll let me know. They won't just say nice things to keep from hurting my feelings.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Good job! I finally finished my revisions as well and am actually working on book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hooray! Congrats. Now, to the notebooks... I have a feeling you'll end up finding more scenes you want to play with in the notebooks, but now you have time to do that, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, each notebook will be a huge time suck. I'll be amazed if I ever find what I'm actually looking for, because I'll be so distracted by everything else. :)

      Delete
  17. Congrats! Sounds like you have plenty else to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I never lack for projects to work on. Just know-how on occasion... :)

      Delete
  18. Woot! Congratulations. The blurb writing part is dreadful for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always feels like it takes me as long as it took to write the book to write its blurb...which is to say, entirely too long. :)

      Delete
  19. Woot! Woot woot woot woot!

    (In case you couldn't figure it out, I'm happy for you. :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats, M.J. So proud of you. Definitely leave that red pen alone, woman;) Yay, you deserve cake, cookies, ice cream and basically tons of sugar. I thought I was the only one with tons of notebooks lying around. I never know exactly how to store them. What do you do?

    I finished the first draft of my book 2, finally:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Murees...and I'm proud of you, too. Congrats on finishing your draft. I'll send some of that sugar your way. :)

      All my notebooks are still in the boxes I put them in when I moved nearly two years ago. They're just stacked around my office, waiting for me to unpack them. I imagine they're in for a longer wait. I just don't have any other place to put them at this point. *shrugs*

      Delete
  21. Hooray! Congrats on finishing. I'm with Murees - hide that red pen.
    Have a great weekend, MJ!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on completing your revisions! I totally feel you when it comes to blurbs. They've always been one of my biggest enemies!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yippee! *breaks out the cheese* Deep breath, eh? Here's hoping your beta reader came/comes back with all happy things and you can focus ONLY on line edits and typos.

    ReplyDelete